|Union Time Line|
- January 7 – The Commodore 64 8-bit home computer is launched by Commodore International in Las Vegas (released in August); it becomes the all-time best-selling single personal computer model to date.
- January 30 – The first computer virus, the Elk Cloner, is found. It infects Apple II computers.
- April 17 – Canada patriates its constitution, gaining full political independence from the United Kingdom; included is the country's first entrenched bill of rights.
- November 11 – First operational flight of the USA's NASA Space Shuttle (Columbia).
- December 2 – At the University of Utah, 61-year-old retired dentist Barney Clark becomes the first person to receive a permanent artificial heart (he lives for 112 days with the device).
- Insulin-producing bacteria were commercialized.
- 26th Soviet Antarctic Expedition ends and 28th Soviet Antarctic Expedition begins.
- April 2 – The Falklands War begins: Argentina invades and occupies the Falkland Islands.
- June 6 – The 1982 Lebanon War begins: Forces under Israeli Defense Minister Ariel Sharon invade southern Lebanon, eventually reaching as far north as the capital Beirut.
- June 14 – The Falklands War ends; formal surrender of Argentine forces, and liberation of the Falkland Islanders.
- November 13 – The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C., after a march to its site by thousands of Vietnam War veterans.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.